- 3 cups cannellini beans (or 2 15 oz cans – rinsed thoroughly)
- 3 cups red kidney beans (or 2 15 oz. cans – rinsed thoroughly)
- 5 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 9 cloves of garlic (whole, smushed with the back of a knife)
- 20 oz. organic tomato sauce (canned)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (ground)
- 5 sage leaves (cut in half)
- 24 oz. chicken broth or water (you may need to add more at the end to adjust thickness)
- 3” x 3” rind of parmigiano cheese (optional)
- 1/2 lb pasta
Add olive oil to the bottom of a large pot on a medium flame. Add garlic cloves and sauté until golden. Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper and sage and cook for 15 minutes. Add beans, parmigiano rind and chicken broth/water. Cook for another 30 minutes. Cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente (slightly firm).
Add pasta to a large serving bowl and add the beans and sauce. There should be a high bean/sauce to pasta ratio. Drizzle with a good quality olive oil and sprinkle grated parmigiano or romano cheese if desired.